Saturday the 5th of November - Lap Band Surgery.
Matt finally conceded defeat against the public health system, so with that I made the call to have it organised as a private patient.
I rang in the morning, was given the date and all of the info (except for which hospital...oops) and was going to get a call back 'in the afternoon' to confirm, after the PA met with the surgeon.
I was unable to concentrate/think or function on any level all day.
It was pay day for my team, usually one or two come to me, and I go and collect a few lots of their money, not this week - I got them all to come to me!
I still hadn't heard by 5.00pm - and desperately needed to go out to the shop.
I sent the PA (Susan) an email to thank her for her help, and that if she could confirm with me as soon as possible, that would be great, as I needed to get flights booked.
When I returned I had received a reply from her, confirming the date.......
I was a little shocked....a little excited....a little.....OMG!!
During the day I had messaged Big A (who was in Burnie studying) to tell him things as they happened - long story short, he didn't realise I meant the actual operation on the 5th of November, and that it would be a consultation......he was soon excited when he realised!
Small Man hasn't really reacted yet.
It's a reflex from all of the let downs he has had in the past with this, oh and there has been PLENTY, more than plenty actually.
It is almost 4 years to the day since I started trying to get this operation for him.
Yesterday it all caught up with me and I must admit I was was a bit of a wreck.
The whole process has been such a roller coaster.
The reality is, the next 4 weeks could be harder than the last 5 years put together.
Small Man will need to use his cpap machine every night (he hasn't been using it for a while). He will need to be on Optifast for 3 weeks prior to the operation, so meal replacement 'shakes' for every meal - Susan tells me the first week is extremely tough.
We will have to cut back/out most socialising/visits to/from friends for the first week at least, because of the risk of temptation, especially if he is hungry.
I'm also not expecting him to be in the best mood either.
It is going to require the whole family to keep him distracted/entertained, and most of all not eat around him.
We have made a start, to reduce the shock to his system - and switched him back to all sugar free, reducing the size of his meals and cutting out junk/takeaways.
If he goes to have the operation and his liver hasn't shrunk sufficiently, there is a risk of the surgeon closing him back up, and sending him home to be on Optifast for 6 weeks......
I know how hard this is going to be, so I am considering going on Optifast with him for the first week.
So we have booked our flights (we are all going over), hire car, and will wait to find out which hospital Monday, so that we can book accommodation.
We will be away for 5 days.
G
x♥x
![]() |
| Look at his hair! :) |


No comments:
Post a Comment