Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Just a little more info...


I am adding a little more information to yesterdays post - just in the hope that it may help someone else....
I found this section of an article article and thought it explains it best - for our situation anyway....

Feeding problems are real; they are hard-wired and neurological. Their far-reaching effects are nutritional, interpersonal, behavioral and developmental, altering the sense of self and self-esteem, family relations, sociability, as well as academic and professional performance.

Problem feeders describe the one out of twenty children between the ages of birth and 10 who refuse to eat or who will only eat limited numbers of selected foods.

A condition that is also called selective eating, perseverant feeding problems, or food neo-phobia is characterized by a strong fear of trying new foods, leaving its victims at risk for malnutrition and failure to grow normally.

Problem feeders tend to demonstrate diverse clusters of traits, covering a spectrum of broader, more pervasive, neurologically-based dysfunction which compromises the person’s existence; these might include sensory integration disorder (SID),

Asperger's Disorder, Non-Verbal Learning Disability (NVLD), and/or Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD.)

They typically demonstrate tactile and oral defensiveness and an overactive gag reflex.

A strapping pre-school youngster demonstrates an extreme reaction to certain foods. Not tolerating textures in his mouth or smells in his environment, the aroma of certain foods hurts his nose and makes him so upset, he runs out of the kitchen.

He spits out most foods, and typically gags, coughs or chokes during meals.

Though he was growing normally, his mother fears he isn’t getting adequate nutrition from the limited foods he is eating.

Their pediatrician has repeatedly told this mother not to worry, that her son’s height and weight were in the normal range.

An older youngster with a similar problem goes all day at school without anything to eat because he cannot tolerate the smell of food in the cafeteria at lunch time. His food intake during the school day is limited to cakes and chips that he can easily eat on the playground. This same child heaves at the beach in response to the smell of seaweed on the shore.


We have experienced most of the above, the situations have been a little different - eg Small Man cannot sit at the table with Z16 when he is eating peas.
The last piece of fruit Small Man ate was a grape - in Kindergarten - he swallowed it whole so as to avoid the texture of it.
Z16 (only a few weeks ago) refused to try some cappuccino I bought for him - I bought a different brand - oh no no no no!!! His 'usual' brand changed their packaging - it was almost an issue but they had a picture on the back of the new box showing the old packaging - then an arrow pointing to the new packaging - so that was o.k.

When the boys were younger they wouldn't eat anything but bread, chips or something else out of a packet at anyone elses house - I had to have prepared the food - and always had to take food for them when visiting.
Z16 just wouldn't eat. Small Man would want to come home. They are better with that now!

Eating out is still a battle - Z16 will only eat chips - unless it's a fast food place or pizza place. Small Man has to know exactly what is 'in it' - we can't have surprise toppings - so have found food halls to be the best place - he could order a chicken wrap, with cheese and mayo - no salad - and it's all good. It was extremely difficult when all he ate was two minute noodles, potato chips, bread and biscuits.......

G

xx

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you !!!!

Our younger son has 'food issues'. I am always doubting myself as others say he is just being fussy/controlling. I need to remember that they are real issues for him. Thank you for that reminder.

Myst_72 said...

You're Welcome - a mothers instincts are 99.9% right I think. And I understand how much other peoples opinions can warp your perspective and cause doubt.

G
xx

Anonymous said...

A ray of hope for you.
My youngest son would only eat potatoes in any form, Saos, cheese, ham, peanut butter. white bread sangers,Weet Bix or Vita Brits,sugar milk, which had to be 'just right' but didn't know how to explain 'just right' and drink only Solo when travelling.
After many Dr's visits for this and bruising and being reassured he was fine, one finally said 'not to worry' and that I was not a bad mother. Of course, I had a big cry then took his advice.
He is now 36, 6ft 4ins strong and healthy. Must have needed the carbs for his bones? He is also a gourmet cook at home and will try anything.Both as in eating and life. He and his lovely wife are now proud parents of 2 mth old twins, boy and girl.
Soooo. keep the faith everyone.

D.

Myst_72 said...

Thank you D.

If only all doctors were as sensible as the 'not to worry' doc that told you you weren't a bad mother....

G
xx

Anonymous said...

wow, and I thought I had food issues. I'm alergic to dairy, makes eating out fun fun fun.

The Miss of Abyss said...

My sister "Wonderland" would have food of the month, colour of the month, and would only drink her nutrition. At 18, she still has major issues with what she will or will not eat. She is as healthy as an ox, and a dancer.

Heck, mothers get put through the wringer about these things. If you *know* that your child is healthy, why put yourself through more stress. Other people should take their opinions and place them in the appropriate place.

Anonymous said...

Thank you too myst,
I have had constant harrasment from family about how I am also a bad mother with regard to my kids eating "issues".My older daugter was very fussy but now eats a wide range of foods she has introduced for herself - she is now 24 and ok.
My baby girl eats chips, chicken nuggets and toast and an occassional fruit or vege when she is made to - my fault of course ( so sick of hearing how everything is always my fault)she has a strong gag reflex and cannot stand certain textures and smells.
She is well, has had blood tests and all - I am still blamed at my failure to feed her correctly. I am sure she will also change as she grows older ( she is 14) but family gatherings are a nightmare - always the conversation goes to what she is or is not eating and it shits me to high heaven.
I am NOT a bad mother - Thankyou.
Lucky

Myst_72 said...

Thank you Lucky.

Until now I thought it was just me, and just my kids.
It's little wonder people develop eating disorders when such a big deal is made out of what they eat, when they eat etc - especially if they struggle with food from a young age...

G
xx

Anonymous said...

I clicked on your link from Widdle's and am so glad I did! This sounds so familiar. The eating habits of my two small boys is driving me insane! Both have senory issues and speech delays. The youngest will only eat crunchy textures like crackers or chips. NO slimy! I would be interested in reading that entire article. Is it online?
Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be!

Myst_72 said...

Hi Goldie,

Thank you for stopping by and for your comment.

Trust your own instincts, I think mothers DO know!!!

The dietician we saw this morning told me she has nothing to suggest, as we obviously 'know what we are doing' - so refreshing in a world of criticism.

I'll try and find that article again for you and send you the link, I cut out the most relevant parts of the article...to send to my DH at work...so he wouldn't shake his head every time we try and get takeaways and it's a nightmare! :-)

G
xxx