Friday, March 28, 2008

What does better off look like?



Not sure if we are 'better off' after our appointment today....

O.K. - so we went through all of the questions for the millionth time...with two students taking notes...

That's o.k. - I expected that.

Small Man was weighed and measured and examined.

The Professor seemed incredulous that we haven't seen an ongoing specialist - we've seen many specialists, just none of them ongoing.

He hasn't said no to the lap band - but hasn't said yes either.

He wants to consult with a paediatric obesity specialist and would like us to see him too.

That's fine.

He wants to make sure every possible test for underlying causes to the weight gain (aside from the chronic fatigue) have been done and he is happy with the results.

That's o.k..

He wants to look at other possible ways of helping Small Mans weight and ensure these have also been exhausted.

No problem.

He asked me when CFS was diagnosed, I said there has never been an official diagnosis - but the term is used often and he is fatigued - chronically.

Small Man was in a testy, brittle mood.

He hasn't reacted to the appointment yet.
He didn't say much during the appointment and was horrified that the Professor wanted to check his 'undercarriage' .
He said "You'll be right thanks". You can't explain to a 13 year old boy why this would be necessary - you just can't.
One minute they are flashing it around for anyone that wants to look - the next thing there is a please knock sign up on their door - that's o.k. it's just the age and I respect their privacy - I'm sure the Prof got it.

Perhaps I'm getting used to these appointments - I feel quite flat, numb, whatever tonight.

It's not as if it was bad news, I think I'm just resigned to the fact that it's going to be a longer haul than the long haul we've already had.
And no, didn't expect him to whisk him upstairs and get a lap band into him this afternoon (if I feel disappointed after an appointment I ask myself "What was it I expected from this? What did I want the doctor to say?").

I just don't want to get to the stage where I'm leaving him on his own for longer, because of the obligations I have with work etc - I mean I don't want to start switching off to him in the slightest - if he senses that he'll give up.

Now I'll get the phone calls to see how we went, It's nice that people care but there wasn't anything concrete I can give them.
Well, except the above, and that we are seeing the Paediatrician Monday afternoon, and I have to ring the Prof back Monday afternoon too....

*sigh*

and on it goes......

G
xx

6 comments:

Jen said...

good luck and i hope that it all goes your way. you just do whatever it takes to support your boy.

luv jen
xoxo

Myst_72 said...

Thank you Jen xxx

Anonymous said...

I know I'm slow but I still have to ask, are you at the doctors or the university?

sorry, I'm just confused about who's who. sounds like a doctors visit and then where does the professor fall into it? or is Professor internet code for something.

mmmm....is it a case of, if I read all your past entries then I wouldn't be confused?

aren't I a pest.

I do feel bad for your situation though, I feel your frustration even if I am a little in the dark.

sorr-wee

Myst_72 said...

Hi Warriorwoman,

We were at the local public hospital, seeing a Professor from another state this time. It is a teaching hospital so there are often student doctors!
So the Professor was the doctor this time.
Maybe not, as I think I started writing about this from where I was at the time, then skipped back to the start! There are a few posts around September/October last year that covers a lot of it I think...
I need to label the posts about Small Man and the journey....maybe.

No you're not a pest at all!!
It only sounds UN confusing to me, cos I know what I'm on about!...

We just keeping thinking he'll be better soon, or there'll be an answer or solution soon, and it never comes...

Thank you for caring and leaving a comment :-)

G
xx

Veronica Foale said...

I know exactly where you are at. I didn't get to see an ongoing specialist either. Once they discovered all my bloods were normal, they palmed me back off to the GP or to someone, anyone else.

Crossing fingers that the lapband happens.

Myst_72 said...

Thank you Veronica xx

I'm thinking tonight that I won't mind if they want to help the fatigue, or help the weight - just help!
We need to see a light at the end of this tunnel,

G
xx